Qualitative research Assignment
1) find a qualitative nursing research study of interest to you.
2) read the article attach article (5 Points)
3) Compare the article to quantitative articles you have read – in general (the difference between the two types of studies) (15 Points)
4) Identify similarities & differences (15 Points)
5) What are the components of the “qualitative process”? (15 points) reference attached:
Statement on the Phenomenon of Interest:
1) What is the phenomenon of interest and is it clearly stated for the reader?
2) What is the justification for using a qualitative method?
3) What are the philosophical underpinnings of the research method?
1) What is the purpose of the study?
2) What is the projected significance of the work to nursing?
1) Is the method used to collect data compatible with the purpose of the research?
2) Is the method adequate to address the phenomenon of interest?
3) If a particular approach is used to guide the inquiry, does the researcher complete the study according to the process described?
1) What type of sampling is used? Is it appropriate giving the particular method?
2) Are the informants who were chosen appropriate to imform the research?
1) Is data collection focused on human experience?
2) Does the researcher describe data collections strategies (i.e. interviews, observation, field notes)?
3) Is protection of human participants addressed?
4) Is saturation of the data described?
5) What are the procedures for collecting data?
1) What strategies are used to analyze the data?
2) has the researcher remained true to the data?
3) Does the reader follow the steps described for data analysis?
4) Does the researcher address the credibility, auditability, & fittingness of the data?
1) Do the participants recognize the experience as their own?
2) Has adequate time been allowed to full understand the phenomenon?
1) Can the reader follow the researcher’s thinking?
2) Does the researcher document the research process?
1) Are the findings applicable outside of the study situation?
2) Are the results meaningful to individuals not involved in the research?
3) Is the strategy used for analysis compatible with the purpose of the study?
1) Are the findings presented within the context?
2) Is the reader able to apprehend the essence of the experience from the report of the findings?
3) Are the researcher’s conceptualization true to the data?
4) does the researcher place the report in the context of what is already known about the phenomenon? Was the existing literature on the topic related to the findings?
Conclusion, Implications, and Recommendations:
1) Do the conclusions, implications, & recommendations give the reader a context in which to use the findings?
2) how do the conclusions reflect the study findings?
3) What are the recommendations for future study? So they reflect the findings?
4) How has the researcher made explicit the significance of the study to nursing theory, research or practice?
6) Which type of study do you prefer to read? Why do you like it?
Write 5-6 pages
Grading based on:
1) choice of article – needs to be submitted with paper
2) Compare the article to quantitative articles
3) identify similarities & differences
4) components of the qualitative process
Paper will be submitted to “TURN IT IN”