If a 20 page paper can be written on police use of deadly force, great. If one of these other topics would be better feel free to use one of these instead: racial profiling, juveniles (tried as adults), sentencing, gender bias, sexual harassment and lack of training for women in policing.
Focus of the Capstone Project
You will submit an appropriate project focused upon a contemporary criminal justice issue. Students are encouraged to
use multimedia, scholarly sources, interviews with professionals in the field, and primary sources to identify and devise a
workable plan to solve a modern, criminal justice issue. At a minimum, a successful project will devise strategies focused
upon all of the learning objectives for the criminal justice program.
The student will:
1. Examine law-enforcement issues.
2. Apply knowledge of socio-economic (cultural) diversity to criminal justice.
3. Understand the United States Constitution and the application of criminal and social justice theories through
4. Investigate the operation of the criminal justice system.
5. Explore crime scene investigation techniques: crime scene security and the collection, preservation and
presentation of evidence.
6. Study correctional institutions and the criminal and social justice aspects of incarceration and release issues.
7. Understand the centralization of criminal justice agencies domestically, the U.S. Homeland Security Act, and
the international aspects of criminal and social justice.
CRJ422 Criminal Justice Capstone Course
8. Examine the relationship of social justice to the criminal justice system.
9. Apply information from sociology, law, psychology, ethics, and related fields to the study of criminal justice.
10. Solve a modern criminal and social justice issue through a comprehensive capstone course.
Students can supplement their projects with any of the following: all scholarly sources, including documentaries and
contemporary news-reporting; comparisons of similar tactics/agencies in varying situations and their effects; political and
military trends and technology that directly impact the tactics/organizations being influenced.
The finished paper must be at least 20 pages in length and include no fewer than 5 scholarly resources.
Writing the Capstone Project
The Capstone Project:
???? Must be at least twenty double-spaced pages in length and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the
approved APA style guide.
???? Must include a cover page that includes:
– Title of paper
– Student’s name
– Course name and number
– Instructor’s name
– Date submitted
???? Must include an introductory paragraph with a succinct thesis statement.
???? Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
???? Must conclude with a restatement of the thesis and a conclusion paragraph.
???? Must use APA style as outlined in the approved APA style guide to document all sources.
???? Must include at least 5 academic resources outside of the course text.
???? Must include, on the final page, a Reference Page that is completed according to APA style as outlined in the
approved APA style guide.
Students should be made aware that instructors utilize anti-plagiarism resources, including Turnitin software, to determine
the originality of submitted written work. These tools compare students’ work with texts available in internal databases
and through Internet searches. (Ashford University Catalog)
The minimum number of resources is 5. I would like to use 8 and have a Reference page attached to the paper.