Please use the Penguin Classics version of The Crucible by Arthur Miller.
1. Read the introduction ( p.vii –xxv). List three things within the introduction that surprise or shock you. List three questions that the introduction raises for you.
2. Read “A Note on the Historical Accuracy of the Play” (p.2). List three ways that the play differs from the actual, historical event.
3. Read the play, recording your personal reaction to each Act.
4. Identify at least two themes of this work.
5. List three significant passages from the play and explain how each either contributes to the growth of a character, or functions as a manifestation of theme.
6. Read the deleted scene at the end of the play. Argue for or against its relevance.
7. In one sentence, explain what The Crucible is about.