this is a film project. please choose one of the films on the list below to do the assignment.
Channing-Williams, S. (producer) & Leigh, M. (Director) 1996. The movie is SECRETS AND LIES. Great Britain, channel four films.
Dale, M. (producer) & Lemmons, K. (director) 2007. the film is called TALK TO ME. United States: Focus Feartures.
Grazer, B. (producer) & Lee, M (director) 2002. its called UNDERCOVER BROTHER. United states, universal studios.
Danon, M (producer) and Nichols, M. (director) 1996. THE BIRDCAGE. United states, MGM.
According to Adams (1996) in his book The Multicultural Imagination, our perceptions, beliefs and ideas about individuals of other cultures and groups are based in the relationship of the Self to the other as the other has been described by the early anthropologists. In this project you will explore Self-Other relationships as they are portrayed in the film.
in this project you will compare perspectives of the self and the other when diversity is present with respect to culture, ethnicity, class, gender and or sexual orientation and able bodied vs. disability status. You will evaluate ways in which sterotypes influenece patterns of communication and interaction between groups, and may create barriers to the formation of interpersonal relationships. This project addresses the following objectives:
1. Identify the historical circumstances that have differentially affected persons of particular cultural and ethnic groups, gender identities, sexual orientations, and persons who have disabilities who may come to us as clinicians for psychotherapy.
2. I will increase my awareness of my own normative beliefs and ideas about family roles and structures, religious/spiritual beliefs and related rituals, individual and personal priorities and goals and the process of individuation, and their expectations for relationships with others. I will identify the ways in which my own personal beliefs may differ from the beliefs and expectations of my clients, and how this divergence may affect the experience of psychotherapy
3. I will identify ways in which mental and physical illness and interpersonal relationships may be conceptualized related to the other culture in which an individual or group in embedded and or participates.
REACTION PAPER SHOULD INCLUDE:
1. SUMMERIZE THE PLOT AND DESCRIPTION OF THE MAIN CHARACTERS IN A PARAGRAPH OR TWO.
2. WRITE YOUR REACTION TO THE FILM. YOU MAY CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AS YOU RESPOND TO THE FILM:
How does the self or the selves in a group define itself and the Other? based on which characteristics?
how does the self/selves perceive the gender role, gender identity, gender orientation of the other?
how does the self/selves perceive the work reole/roles of the other?
how does the self/selves perceive the family structure and or intimate relationsips of the other?
how do I think the self/selves believe it is perceived by the broader culture? how does the self believe the other is perceived by the broader culture?
Does the self believe that it is acceptable to openly confront or antagonize the other?
What has been the historical relationship between the self and the other?
which aspects of the other are most unacceptable to the self, and vice versa?
3. NOW HYPOTHESIZE ABOUT THE UNCONSCIOUS ASPECTS OF SELF/OTHER PERCEPTIONS. WHICH SYMBOLS AND ARCHETYPES MAY BE INVOLVED?
please use the tHREE books REQUIRE as needed in this film project AND ADDITIONAL RESOURCES IF YOU WANT.
1..Adams, M.V. (1996). (Chapters 1,2,3 only) The Multicultural Imagination: “Race”, Color, and the Unconscious by Michael Vannoy Adams
2. Robinson-Wood, T. 2009. chapter one only. The convergence of race, ethnicity and gender: Multiple identities in counseling. Priceton, NC: Merrill.
3. APA 6TH EDITION IS REQUIRED NOTHING ELSE.