My topic will be on TASER deaths. My questions will be; What causes TASER deaths, how can this be prevented, what training could be provided to minimize this, and how can we educate the public about the TASER deaths? In this paper I am for the use of the TASER not opposed to its use. There area been recent studies that show the TASER is relatively safe and for the mot part non life threatening. I would like part of the paper to focus on how law enforcement could better educate the public on how the TASER is safe.
Topic: Topics should focus on a research question in your major or field of interest. The thesis of the paper will be your answer to this question. The paper should also have an interdisciplinary slant; that is, it should use data or insights from one academic discipline to shed light on a question within your discipline. For example, in an education-related paper, you could focus on a legal perspective, or introduce economic, biological, or historical information.
Audience: You will need to identify and aim your argument at a real, specific, narrow audience. This audience will determine to some extent what question you attempt to research and answer and what information you choose to present. For example, for a topic in education, your audience might be a local PTA board.
Purpose: Your purpose must be more specific than to merely inform. Think about what you want your audience to actually do after reading your research. For example, given the audience above, having a set of parent workshops might be one purpose or goal.
Rubric for Research Paper
Use of Outside Sources (50 pts)
* Does paper contain at least one graph and chart? (10 pts)
* Does it have the range of research sources required? (at least 2 peer-reviewed scholarly journal articles, 1 book, 1 .gov or .edu website, and 1 other source of your choice. A total of at least FIVE sources). (10 pts poss.)
* Are substantive quotes integrated using the 3-step method? (1. Introduce quote(r), contextualize, give credentials of quoter, 2. give quote, 3. explain quote’s significance to your thesis/point). (15 pts)
* Is formatting and works cited list in proper, APA style? Is format and layout of paper creative, colorful and/or innovative, while still informative and functional? (15 pts)
Argument and Content (50 pts)
* Is there a specific, arguable thesis statement in the introductory paragraph that answers the research question? (10 pts)
* Is the interdisciplinary slant of the paper clear? (10 pts)
* Is paper at least 6-7 pages, or 1200 words, double-spaced, excluding charts, citation and title pages? (10 pts)
* Is purpose and audience clear and specific? (10 pts)
* Is paper topic narrowly defined? (10 pts)
Structure & Mechanics (50 pts)
* (Is paper written with clarity, specificity, correct grammar/ mechanics? Does it have good transitions, with each paragraph consisting of only one topic? Do all paragraphs support the thesis?)
There are faxes for this order.