1.Why is it more difficult to police a democratic society than a dictatorship/autocratic form of government?
2. What were the main issues confronting police administrators during the time when formal departments were being organized? How were these issues dealt with? Are any of these issues relevant in contemporary policing?
3. What criteria do police departments use to determine whether an applicant should be hired? Which ones do you think are the most important?
4. Why is it important for police administrators to know organizational theory?
5.How many patrol techniques can you list? What are their benefits? What are the problems associated with them?
6. What is discretion? Is it good or bad? What makes it good or bad? Can it be both?
7. The chapter describes a deadly force situation in Cincinnati, Ohio. Based on the information given, what do you believe the officer should have done in that situation? Was the shooting justified?
8. Are police officers different from the general population? How? Why?
9. What does “corruption” mean? Are all illegal activities corrupt activities? Are all corrupt activities illegal? 13
10. Why has the number of lawsuits filed against the police increased over the past 25 years?
11. What is community policing? How does it differ from traditional policing?
12. What is the nature of the drug problem in the United States? Is today’s drug problem any different or worse than the drug problem in the past?
13. After reading this chapter what do you think are the causes of terrorism?