The following are directions to write the narrative description of your field project. You may attach as appendices any charts, tables, or other materials (labeled with the source identified per APA format). The document should be a minimum of 7 pages and no more than 10 pages, not including the cover sheet, reference page(s) or appendices. Use the headings in the outline below as the headings for your written paper.
1. Identification of geographical area, e.g., county, city, town.
a. Area size
b. Population size
d. Community genogram/profile reflecting health status
e. Physical and social environment
2. Health concern
a. Background in relation to Healthy People 2020 (2010) and local public health data that characterizes this health concern
b. Data from national, state, and/or local level related to the health concern
3. Population of interest
c. Demographics including socioeconomic status and educational level
d. Describe how this health concern is linked to a health inequity for the population of interest. Use data to support your conclusion.
4. Community resources/partners currently involved with the health concern
a. Mission, activities, progress/lack of progress toward resolving the health concern based on website, interview, data, etc
1. Describe aspects of the health concern not being addressed despite the efforts of the partners involved.
1. Briefly describe the ultimate outcome(s) or goal(s) for improvement related to the health concern
1. What nursing actions do you recommend to improve the health concern? How might you and other nurses work with the community and the population of interest to improve the health concern. Select primary and secondary prevention activities only. Use the Minnesota intervention wheel as an aid in selecting the broad areas for nursing action.
2. What partnerships should nursing form in the planning for implementing the recommendations? Identify both public and private (non-profit or community based organizations) partnerships.
c. What would be the overall objective(s) for implementing these activities and the timelines for expected outcomes?
1. How would you evaluate whether the efforts to improve the health concern were effective? What tools might you use to do this evaluation?
1. Summarize how your perspective of the community’s or the public’s health and the national, state and local efforts toward a healthier population has changed as a result of your work in this course of study.